Saturday, February 14, 2009

Slaughterhouse Five (1972)

A man travels back & forth through time within his own lifetime, repeating the scenes over & over. (I wonder if this is where Audrey Niffenegger got the idea for her novel The Time Traveler's Wife.)

The film focuses on the main character as he relives his time as a young prisoner of war in Dresden, Germany when it was bombed killing up to 40,000 people in just two days (mirroring author Kurt Vonnegut's own experience).

As with most films of the 1960's & 70's, I had to try hard to look past the cheesiness of the film making, & wonder how much better this film would be if it were re-done today. This is one of the few instances when having seen the movie makes me want to read the book.

Slaughterhouse Five on IMDb

2 comments:

joe said...

Nancy,

This is a fantastic movie. It is a favorite of both me and my dad. We both love it. I saw it for the first time way back in high school, and I even tried to read the book afterwards (as you mentioned), but I'm not a recreational reader, and never did get into it.

I could go on for hours about how good I think this movie is. I've watched it several times, and will watch it again. I haven't heard it mentioned in years! I noticed the pic on your movie page and had to leave a comment.

What specifically did you not like about the movie-making? What was "cheesy" about it?

...Joe

Nancy Lewis said...

It's mostly the dialog that's cheesy: "Golly!", "I'm not joshing, see.", "She's swell!"

Even so, the film was pretty progressive with the nudity: both men & women show their stuff in this one!