Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Visitor (2007)

A lethargic professor comes back to his apartment in New York City to find two immigrants squatting there. Instead of throwing them out on the street, he allows them to stay until they can find another place to live. In the meantime, one of them is arrested & threatened with deportation. The professor tries to help resolve the problem.

This was apparently a film about the plight of illegal immigrants, its supposed goal to squeeze sympathy from the viewer. However, the story is so loosely constructed that I never got to the point that I cared what happened to poor Tarek. I never felt that he was being wrongly accused, or that he had been rightly accused. I never felt one way or the other about him or any of the other characters. For a movie so highly recommended to me by several of my friends, this one fell disappointingly flat.

The Visitor on IMDb

No comments: