Saturday, March 7, 2009

Watchmen (2009)

It looks like someone is trying to kill off all of the superheroes in New York City. But who? & Why?

I read this book on a recommendation from my friend Ryan. It was my first graphic novel, & I really enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to seeing the movie.

I wasn't disappointed. The movie follows the book very closely, going so far as to show exact replicas of frames in the graphic novel in slow motion. The book was written in 1986, & the film sticks to the style of the times flawlessly.

One word of caution: If you go into it expecting an action flick, you may be disappointed. This movie is much deeper than that. The topic (saving the world from destruction) may seem trite these days, but Watchmen was written when we were still in the middle of the Cold War, & when ideas like this were novel.

Watchmen on IMDb

No comments: